Christmas is over, and we are getting ready to head into a brand new year. I trust you had a fantastic holiday with your family despite all the craziness with Covid-19.
As this year comes to a close, I began to prepare my plans for 2021. I don’t make New Year’s resolutions, but there are several things I have been doing for several years that I will share with you.
- I usually take some time to develop a shortlist of personal goals for the new year. I have them typed on a 4X6 card and put them in several spots so that they are always before me. For this year, I am going to keep the same list as, quite honestly, with Covid-19, everything was thrown off balance.
- Choose a word for the year. I have been doing this for several years not, and it is a cool exercise. The word I have chosen for this year is PREVAIL. It’s a cool word and what intrigued me were the synonyms and opposites of the word. The synonyms are: overcome, conquer, be victorious, and triumph. Some other words connected with prevail are: abide, endure, obtain, persist, rest, and stand. Some opposites of prevail? Fail! Lose! Give up! Forfeit.
This is a perfect word for my life this year in light of my goals. I’d love to hear what word the Lord will have you use this year.
- Establish my devotional plan. Besides my Bible reading, which is a priority, I sit down and choose several devotionals to read through.
There are several devotionals I have used for several years in a row, but this year I am going to work through:
Come Follow My – Matt Koceich
Every Day with Jesus – Selwyn Hughes
Prevail – Susie Larson
Salt and Light – Cris Tiegreen
Saving Grace – C. John Miller
Seeking God’s Face – Philip Reinders
- For my Bible reading, I will go through Daily Light on the Daily Path, which I have done for 25 years. I am also planning to read through the Christian Standard Version in Chronological order. I also plan to use our 2021 America’s Keswick Bible Reading Plan to take us through the New Testament. You can download the plan by visiting our website at https://americaskeswick.org/resources/2021-daily-bible-reading-plan/
- I plan to be more consistent in my journaling. I have two journals. One is a daily journal that is just a short paragraph. I am using a 5-year journal from smileamazon.com and am starting my third year. I also have a more extended journal that I will continue to record what God is teaching me in my life, especially as I learn the meaning of prevail.
I would encourage you to take a few moments before this year closes out to choose one or all of the above steps in your life in 2021. Next week I want to unpack our new theme, the theme verse for America’s Keswick.
Have a blessed end of the year. Thanks for being a part of our Freedom Fighter ministry. I am thankful for you and our faithful Freedom Fighter writers.
Living in light of the gospel,
Bill Welte, President/CEO
You can email Bill at email@example.com
Written by Bill Welte, President/CEO of America’s Keswick: Bill has been married to his childhood sweetheart for 40+ years and has four married kids and 12 amazing grandkids. He loves music and is an avid reader.