It’s Christmas and we see a lot of cards and signs that picture Jesus as the “Prince of Peace”.
Ponder these verses: “Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven. But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven. Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. And a man’s foes shall be they of his own household.” (Matt.10:32-36) (Italics mine.)
Jesus is to be the Prince of Peace (Isa. 9:6). He said, “Peace I leave with you…” (John 14:27) Yet here He says He brings the sword! We must distinguish the purpose of Christ’s coming and the result of it. His design is for peace but His appearance in the flesh created division. And division reigns today.
This idea of political correctness in our day is flat-out ridiculous! Those caught up in it border on insanity. We’re so afraid we’ll offend someone…anyone…that no matter what you say you are a bigot, stupid, insensitive or a religious nut in someone’s eyes. Down deep I don’t know if they really care or if is just another convenient to way to antagonize you for your political views.
Foul language, destroying a person in public forum, half-truths which mislead, scandal sheets with outright lies, etc. are acceptable, but don’t offend anyone in the area of race, ethnicity or sexual orientation. High profile TV personalities and sports figures lose their jobs over spur-of-the-moment remarks that offend someone or some group.
But when it comes to Christian issues, the rules change…there are none! Christmas Carols offend non-Christians? Grow up. Get real. Christmas is the birthday of Jesus. We celebrate it by saying so, just like we celebrate the birthdays of Washington, Lincoln, Martin Luther King, etc. We Christians didn’t invent all of the secularization with shopping, partying, feasting and extravagant gift-giving. We participate in it as members of our culture, but the day is about Jesus: “Happy birthday to You.” If you call yourself a Christian and get through the day without giving Him His rightful acknowledgement in some purposeful, visible, verbal way, you had better re-evaluate your commitment.
Just to demonstrate how crazy this political correctness has become, I have heard that they decided to pull “Baby it’s Cold Outside” from its playlist because someone was offended and a friend mockingly sent me this list of other songs that should be banned.
- I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus: subjecting minors to softcore porn.
2. The Christmas Song: Open fire? Pollution. Folks dressed up like Eskimos? Cultural appropriation.
3. Holly Jolly Christmas: Kiss her once for me? Unwanted advances.
4. White Christmas? Racist.
5. Santa Claus is Coming to Town: Sees you when you’re sleeping? Knows when you’re awake? Peeping Tom stalker.
6. Most Wonderful Time of the Year: Everyone telling you be of good cheer? Forced to hide depression.
7. Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer: Bullying.
8. It’s Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas: Forced gender-specific gifts: dolls for Janice and Jen and boots and pistols (GUNS!) for Barney and Ben.
9. Santa Baby: Gold digger, blackmail.
10. Frosty the Snowman: Sexist; not a snow woman.
11. Do You Hear What I Hear?: blatant disregard for the hearing impaired.
12. Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas: Make the yuletide GAY? Wow, just wow.
13. Jingle Bell Rock: Giddy up jingle horse, pick up your feet: animal abuse.
14. Mistletoe and Holly: Overeating, folks stealing a kiss or two? How did this song ever see the light of day?
15. Winter Wonderland: Parson Brown demanding they get married…forced partnership.
16. I’ll Be Home for Christmas: Not if you are homeless. That’s just insensitive.
With all of this abuse around us all these years, how did we survive? We all should be offended, raving maniacs or cowering psychopaths for all the “abuse” we have endured.
But no, God gave us brains and senses and discernment. Apparently, a lot of people stayed in bed the morning these things were issued!!!! Someone announced they were passing out brains but some thought they said trains and they missed theirs!!!
If Jesus offends you, live with it. To millions of others around the globe, He is vital in their lives and psyche. If you have any spiritual insight at all you would realize that Jesus is the best thing that ever happened to the world…and potentially to you. He’s not forcing Himself on you, but He is there and will always be there. He is undoubtedly the central Person of history. He’s not going away, but you are. And what you do with Him before you die will determine your eternity. Christmas always reminds us of that.
Get over the current silly notion of being politically correct and be concerned about being spiritually correct as Jesus offers Himself to you this season. Christianity began in the heart of God. It is only complete when it reaches the heart of man.
Written By Neil Fichthorn: Rev. Neil Fichthorn is a seasoned conference and camping servant having served at Gull Lake Bible Conference, Sandy Cove Ministries as President, and an interim Executive Director at Pinebrook Bible Conference. He also served in church music for decades as a choir director and arranger. He has been Bill Welte’s mentor and friend for over 45 years.