But How Lord?
Posted on April 25, 2018 by America's Keswick in Victory Call
I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my eye upon you. Psalm 32:8
Have you ever been prompted by God to do something but you didn’t know HOW to do what you know He is asking of you? I have.
I remember times praying, “Lord I want to do what You are asking but I don’t know how. It is as if You are asking me to speak Yiddish – a language I do not speak.”
I remember a time my husband and I were having a conversation with a Colony graduate and his wife. He had struggled since shortly getting out of the program, relapsing for long periods of time. This went on for years. During our conversation he said, “People tell me the answers are in the Bible, but where? I don’t see them. HOW do I do it?”
What is God asking you to do that you are just not sure HOW to do?
Abide in me and I in you…[i] Yes Lord, but HOW?
Put off your old self… put on your new self…. [ii] Yes Lord, but HOW?
Forgive one another…[iii] Yes Lord, but HOW?
Love your enemies…[iv] Yes Lord, but HOW?
Pray without ceasing…[v] Yes Lord, but HOW?
Live in unity…[vi] Yes Lord, but HOW?
Wives, submit to your own husbands...[vii] Yes Lord, but HOW?
Pray in spirit and in truth…[viii] Yes Lord, but HOW?
It doesn’t matter WHAT it is on your list but you may have something that you just are not sure HOW to obey.
I don’t have the answers for what it is in your life; I’m working on the HOW questions in my own life, but this I know…
- God wants us to know HOW to do what He is asking. He is NOT holding out on us.
- God has not, does not and will not forsake us. (I will never leave you nor forsake you – Hebrews 13:5) He will not leave us on our own to figure life out.
- God will direct our steps. (Don’t skim over this because it is so familiar – Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths. Proverbs 3:5-6)
- Our journey is a faith journey – it relies on the leading and power of the Holy Spirit. (I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.Galatians 2:20)
- I believe that God honors a heart-felt desire to obey, and our genuine efforts to do so, even if we stumble and fall. He will pick us up. (The steps of a man are established by the Lord, when he delights in his way; though he fall, he shall not be cast headlong, for the Lord upholds his hand. Psalm 37:23-24)
Don’t give up, Sister. Press in and press on, pursuing what God is asking of you. Ask Him HOW to do what He is asking – He will meet you there.
Make me to know your ways, O Lord; teach me your paths. Lead me in your truth and teach me, for you are the God of my salvation; for you I wait all the day long. Psalm 25:4-5
Diane Hunt serves part-time on the staff of America’s Keswick providing ministry support from her home in North Carolina. She is also a biblical counselor and women’s event speaker. For more information about having Diane speak at your next event please contact her at email@example.com.
[i] John 15:4
[ii] Ephesians 4:22-23
[iii] Ephesians 4:32
[iv] Matthew 5:44
[v] 1 Thessalonians 5:17
[vi] 1 Peter 3:8
[vii] Ephesians 5:22
[viii] John 4:23