Here’s A Useful List To Use
Posted on November 7, 2018 by America's Keswick in Freedom Fighters
“Therefore, if anyone cleanses himself from these things, he will be a vessel for honor, sanctified, useful to the Master, prepared for every good work.” — 2 Timothy 2:21 (NASB)
Back on July 31, 2003, I signed this little blue card that says, “Lord, I give up all my own plans and purposes, all my own desires and hopes, and accept your will for my life. I give myself, my life, my all utterly to you to be yours forever. Fill me with your Holy Spirit. Use me as you will; send me where you will; work out your whole will in my life at any cost, now and forever.” Now I’ve signed a lot of things that I regretted doing but this ain’t one of them (I just kinda wish I had the “at any cost” understood a little better at that time.) Ever since then, God has taken me and used me in things I never thought I’d ever be doing.
Maybe you are like me and you’ve heard a preaching that touched you in such a way that you have asked yourself, “How can God use me? What can I do?” Well I got a list with a few suggestions that just might be helpful. Are you ready?
So, if you wanna be used of God…
- Let Him think through your mind. Philippians 2:5 says, “Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus.” This means we’ll need to condition our minds to think as Jesus thinks. The apostle Paul told the Corinthian church they needed to bring every thought captive to the obedience of Christ in order to bring down lofty ideas. If you wanna be used by God, ya gotta be thinking like Jesus. However, that’s easier said than done, right?
- Let Him see through your eyes. Psalm 119:18 says, “Open my eyes, that I may see wonderous things from Your Law.” This verse speaks to being able to perceive the world not as you would choose to see it but from God’s perspective. To see the blessings in obedience and the curses that come from disobedience. Remember, the eye is the window to the soul.
- Let Him hear through your ears. John 8:47a says, “He who is of God hears God’s words.” Not to get all Doomsday here, but in the Book of Revelation we’ll read, “He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.” Now if turnabout is fair play, if want God to hear your prayers you best be hearing what He says through His word. ‘Nough said there!!
- Let Him speak through your voice and let Him walk through your feet. Isaiah 52:7 says, “How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him who brings good news, who proclaim peace, who brings glad tidings of good things, who proclaim salvation, who says to Zion, “Your God reigns.” I kinda think this verse states, “If you’re gonna talk the talk, you better walk the walk” or you’ll miss out on the bigger picture.
- Let Him work through your hands. Matthew 9:37 says, “Then He said to His disciples, “The harvest truly is plentiful, but the laborers are few.” Being a servant of The Most-High can be easy work if your heart is right so be sure your working unto the Lord and not trying to earn that heavenly reward with a heart that say’s, “I gotta do” instead of “I wanna do.”
- Let Him love through your heart. Matthew 22:37-39 says, “Jesus said to him, ‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ This is the first and great commandment.And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’” This is the tough one. I, myself, find it easy to fall into the “I love God but His people…not so much” mentality a lot. But that isn’t how God sees this. He loves me, so I love Him just as He loves them as I should love them. I just kinda wish they weren’t…nah better not go there, anyway.
The only way this list has any power at all is if you are fully committed and surrendered to Jesus Christ. We take that “Baptismal Plunge” to show the outside world of the inward change in us and when that happens you say to The Creator of the universe that you are ready to be an instrument of change for Him. We recognize that we were bought with a price and we’re ready for use.
So, realize this simple fact…a totally committed life to Jesus Christ will develop an uncompromising, passionate love for Truth and once you’re there you will soon find out that you are being used of God!! Then this list will change from a “I let Him” position to a “He already does” position. Amen?
Written by Chris Hughes: Chris, a graduate of The Colony of Mercy (11-2003) has been married for 25+ years (Kathy), has a married son (Kevin) and a daughter in college (Karen). He has been a Freedom Fighter contributor since 2008.
Daily Quote: “God is looking for people through whom He can do the impossible. What a pity we plan to do only the things that we can do by ourselves.” — A.W. Tozer
This Week’s Verse to Memorize:Therefore my heart rejoiced, and my tongue was glad; Moreover my flesh also will rest in hope. — Acts 2:26