Posted on August 7, 2017 by Graeme Wilson in Freedom Fighters
“May the God of peace make you holy through and through. May you be kept in soul and mind and body in spotless integrity until the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. He who calls you is utterly faithful and he will finish what he has set out to do.” – 1 Thessalonians 5:23-24
I am sure you have been there. I know I have. God loves to call us to do things that are out of our comfort zones so that we find out quickly that apart from Him, we couldn’t do the assignment.
But here’s the good news – God will never call you to do something that He will not equip you to do.
Dr. Paul David Tripp in his daily devotional, New Morning Mercies, gives us some great illustrations:
- Noah didn’t have the power to get all those animals into that ark, but the Lord provided what was necessary for it to happen.
- Joseph didn’t have the ability to preserve his life and put himself in a position of power in Egypt, but the Lord made it happen.
- Moses didn’t have what it takes to free the Israelites from their slavery in Egypt, but the Lord empowered him to lead them to the Promised Land.
- The Israelites didn’t have the means to get across the Red Sea, but the Lord parted the waters for them.
- The pilgrims in the wilderness had no means of feeding and sustaining themselves, but the Lord provided everything they needed.
- The children of Israel had no means of defeating the walled city of Jericho, but the Lord gave them victory.
- David had no personal power to overcome Goliath, but the Lord gave him courage and strength in the Valley of Elah.
- Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego had no ability to keep themselves from burning up in that fiery furnace, but the Lord preserved their lives.
- The disciples had no means of feeding the hungry crowd that had gathered to hear Jesus, but he fed them well from a little boy’s lunch.
- Paul had no ability to preserve himself and those who were with him from shipwreck, but the Lord exercised his power so that none were lost.
- The apostles had no ability to take the gospel of Jesus Christ to the known world, but the Lord gifted them and provided for them so that they could do so.
And my guess is that you could think of dozen more illustrations from Scripture.
I can think of numerous times in my life, including assuming my position at America’s Keswick 20 years ago, where I laughed at myself when called upon to do something that where I knew that I would be in over my head.
When the Board interviewed me for the position, I really didn’t think I even had a chance to make in the finals – but when it happened and I realized what I had signed on for – well, I remember thinking “You’ve got to be kidding, Welte – who are you fooling – you can’t do this.”
It was at that time I read the verse from 1 Thessalonians 5:23-24 – “Faithful is He who call you, who will also do it.”
I realized that moment – I can’t, but if HE called me to this GOD-SIZED assignment, He would do it in and through me.
D.L. Moody, George Mueller, Oswald Chambers, Dr. Bob Pierce (World Vision), Billy Graham, William Raws – were all men who received God-sized assignments and learned that the God who called is the One who equipped them for the task.
Paul Tripp reminds us: “You and I have no natural abilities to rise up and do what God calls us to do, but He refuses to leave us to our own resources. He is not so unwise, unkind, or unfaithful as to ever call us to a task without enabling us to do it.”
Has He called you to do a God-sized task? Fear not, my brother – If He called you – He will also do it so that ONLY HE will get the credit for HIS glory.
Rejoice! Pray! Give thanks!
Bill Welte D.D.
President/CEO of America’s Keswick
Written by Dr. Bill Welte, President/CEO of America’s Keswick: Bill has been married to his child sweetheart for 40+ years, and has three married kids, one that is engaged, and 11 amazing grand kids. He loves music and is an avid reader.
The Daily Bible Reading: Leviticus 25-27| You can download our 2017 Daily Bible Reading Plan by clicking here
Think About This: “God will call you to do what YOU cannot do, but will provide EVERYTHING you need to do it.” — Paul David Tripp
This Week’s Verse to Memorize:
“And whenever you stand praying, if you have anything against anyone, forgive him, that your Father in heaven may also forgive you your trespasses. Mark 11:25