Fear God, But Don’t Live in Fear
Posted on January 9, 2023 by Elizabeth Welte in Freedom Fighters
“The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge; fools despise wisdom and instruction.” Proverbs 1:7
The key to Proverbs is gaining an understanding of what it means to fear the Lord. Stormie Omartian in her book, The Power of a Praying Life, says that “having the fear of God means you have such a love and reverence for Him that you are afraid of what life would be without Him.”
The Bible has much to say about the fear of the Lord, and yet we hear very few messages about this topic today in our churches. It doesn’t seem to be a politically correct message, yet we should be reminded of its importance since the Word talks about it often.
Stormie gives us 12 principles to help us understand what happens when you and I have the fear of the Lord in our lives. I will share six today and six tomorrow:
- God provides a place of refuge that takes away your human fear. “In the fear of the Lord there is strong confidence, and His children will have a place of refuge.” Proverbs 14:26
- God gives you the desires of your heart. “He will fulfill the desire of those who fear Him; He will also hear their cry and save them.” Psalm 145:19
- God blesses you and your children in every way. “Blessed is the man who fears the Lord, who delights greatly in His commandments. His descendants will be mighty on the earth; the generation of the upright will be blessed. Wealth and riches will be in his house, and his righteousness endures forever.” Psalm 112:1-3
- God gives you a life of fulfillment and peace. “The fear of the Lord leads to life, and he who has it will abide in satisfaction; he will not be visited with evil.” Psalm 128:1
- God helps you live His way. “Blessed is everyone who fears the Lord, who walks in His ways.” Psalm 128:1
- God delivers you from your enemies.” “But the Lord your God you shall fear; and He will deliver you from the hand of all your enemies.” 2 Kings 17:39
Take some time today to read through these 6 principles. In fact, why not write them out of a 3×5 card and review them this week. And then ask yourself this question: Do I have such a fear of God that I would be afraid of what life would be without Him?
Anchored to the Rock,
Bill Welte, President/CEO
Email Bill: email@example.com
Written by Bill Welte: President/CEO of America’s Keswick: Bill has been married to his childhood sweetheart for 40+ years and has four married kids and 12 amazing grandkids. He loves music and is an avid reader.
This Week’s Verse to Memorize: “Through the Lord’s mercies we are not consumed, Because His compassions fail not. 23 They are new every morning; Great is Your faithfulness. 24 ‘The Lord is my portion,’ says my soul, ‘Therefore I hope in Him!’” Lamentations 3:22-24