Posted on September 6, 2018 by America's Keswick in Freedom Fighters
“Choose my instruction instead of silver, knowledge rather than choice gold, for wisdom is more precious than rubies and nothing you desire can compare with her.” (Prov. 8: 10,11)
Decades ago I heard a man preach on this subject and never forgot it. The older I get, the more I see its truth. “Life is not determined by your wants but by the choices you make.” Let that sink in.
You can’t have all you want, so you are going to have to make some choices. You live with the results of the choices you make. Is it always necessary to go through the “School of Hard Knocks” to teach us what should have been fairly obvious?
- Life-style: Are you going to run with the crowd that is characterized by activities that are spiritually and sociably on the risky side or are you going to use good common sense and be more conservative? The results can be dramatically different.
- Marriage: I don’t care to count the people I know who obviously selected the wrong partner for life. Red lights were blinking but emotions trumped good judgement. They’re living with the results. But who had the courage to point out the what others we seeing but one of them was missing? Would that person have listened?
- Vocation: How many people do you know who are employed below their potential because they didn’t complete an education, or they failed to follow their dream, or they quit at just the wrong time, etc.? This has them stuck in a daily humdrum rather than enjoying making a living.
- Possessions: How many things do you need before you are satisfied? Just a few more? Meanwhile other things in your life suffer…perhaps because you have to work multiple jobs to support your life-style…or you are so deep in credit card debt that just interest payments are consuming your digressionary income? Your greed or lack of patience has caused you to lose a lot of what you really could have because you are paying interest instead of real buying real value. You are paying the consequences of your choices.
- Eternal future: I’m a good person. God is love. I’m better than….! But the result is not based on your opinion. The Bible clearly says there is only one way and that is through Jesus. (John 14:6) Any other option leads to eternal death.
Written by Rev. Neil Fitchthorn Rev. Neil Fichthorn is a seasoned conference and camping servant having served at Gull Lake Bible Conference, Sandy Cove Ministries as President, and an interim Executive Director at Pinebrook Bible Conference. He also served in church music for decades as a choir director and arranger. He has been Bill Welte’s mentor and friend for over 45 years.
The Daily Bible Reading: Ezekiel 32-34 | You can download our 2018 Daily Bible Reading Plan by clicking here
Daily Quote: “You always do what you want to do. This is true with every act. You may say that you had to do something, or that you were forced to, but actually, whatever you do, you do by choice. Only you have the power to choose for yourself.” – W. Clement Stone
This Week’s Verse to Memorize: Do you see a man wise in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him. Proverbs 26:12