A Different Experience…
Posted on May 2, 2019 by America's Keswick in Victory Call
“O taste and see that the LORD is good; How blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him!” – Psalm 34:8
Just before Easter, we suffered a major loss within our family when my grandfather passed away. We knew it was coming, but it was still like a punch to the stomach. He’s never lived more than 5 minutes away from my family my entire life, so we’ve never known a holiday, birthday, or even a week without him. As hard as it is on our family, it’s of course even harder on my grandmother.
My sister and I have been trying to spend more time with my grandmother since this event rocked our world. We’ve taken her to Stewarts (would you believe she’s never had a root beer float before!?) the movies, and we’re already making plans for beach trips in the summer. In a way, it’s like we’re getting to know our grandmother in a whole new way. Whenever we saw her, it’s always been “Mommom and Louie”, we’ve only ever known her as a pair with my grandfather. It’s interesting to learn more about her individual history and her individual likes and dislikes (she still wants to go riding on a motorcycle with my uncle!!) It’s almost like I’m making a new friend.
It got me to thinking, how could I get to know Jesus in a whole new way? He’s so amazing and I know that I can never stop learning about who He is. How can I experience Him in a way that I never have before?
- Maybe I can take a day to put away the phone, put my focus wholly on Him, and BE STILL!
- Maybe I can change my scenery a bit so that when I pray and read my Bible, I can truly appreciate His creation or so that I can pray for the people that I come across.
- Maybe I need to keep a journal of thanksgiving, so I can be intentional of not just asking God for things, but praising Him for who HE is.
- Maybe I need to really learn more about the history of the Bible. I remember when I read “The Case for Christ” and learned about the historicity of the cross and resurrection, I was floored and I felt like I had more understanding about the depth and amazement of the life of Jesus.
- Maybe I need to boldly ask to pray with people who might not necessarily know the Lord. I am always floored by the ways the Lord reveals Himself when we take bold steps of faith.
Those are just some thoughts on my list. What are some new ways in which YOU can experience God in a whole new way? Let me know… because I can use all of the ideas that I can get. 🙂
Written by Erin Culleny: Erin Culleny serves as a Marketing Assistant and Staff Writer. She loves encouraging women through her Victory Calls and finds such joy in praying for her sisters in Christ. Her favorite activities include reading her Bible, encouraging others with scripture, buying new makeup, buying dresses, and eating at the Cheesecake Factory… In that order!
Think About This: “Pure morality points you to the purest one of all. When impure, it points you to yourself. The purer your habits, the closer to God you will come. Moralizing from impure motives takes you away from God.” – Ravi Zacharias
This Week’s Verse to Memorize: Now then, we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God were pleading through us: we implore you on Christ’s behalf, be reconciled to God. For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him. – 2 Corinthians 5:20-21
Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the doctrinal and theological views held by America’s Keswick.