Divine Reading: The Path of Six
Posted on July 21, 2016 by America's Keswick in Freedom Fighters
The Bible is the Living Word of God.
• Prepare: Psalm 46:10; Psalm 37:7a
• Read: Romans 10:8-10; 1 Corinthians 2:9,10; (Revelation 1:13-16, The purpose is to intimately know the Lord Jesus). Read aloud four times slowly and from different points of view; by reading aloud I engage my whole being and I am less distracted by outside inﬂuences.
• Meditate: Joshua 1:8; 1 John 2:27 Listen for the message delivered by the Holy Spirit. I ponder, wait for the Holy Spirit to illuminate my mind. It is important to keep my mind open to allow the Holy Spirit to give meaning to the passage.
• Pray: 1 Thessalonians 5:17,18 I hear God when I read and talk to Him when I pray. Scripture and prayer must be linked together, it is a conversation with my Father, God. Contemplate: Psalm 119: 15,27,148; Psalm 145:5 This is time to express love in the silence of my inner being. For me to experience union with God. I am where I am by grace.
• Imitate (obey) : Ephesians 5:1,2 This is where I consider an action step as I enter my daily activity.
A Beginning Pattern For Discipleship, A Suggested Place To Start:
Begin with a short period of stillness and prayer. Ask God to guide and teach you as you read.
Read the New Testament through ﬁrst. (The reason is the New Testament is the bases for interpreting the Old Testament.) 1-5 chapters per day. Think about what you are reading, don’t rush. Remember you asked God to guide you and teach you. Consider an action step to take as you begin your day.
After you have completed the NT, read the 100 transitional chapters of the Bible. (The reason: this will give you an understanding of the overview of the Bible.) Study one passage per day.
After you have completed your study of the 100 transitional chapters, begin your reading of the whole Bible, Genesis through Revelation. (Sometimes people get discouraged and bogged down when they reach genealogies in the Bible and stop their reading, I suggest that you skip them and return to them later.) Read 1-5 chapters per day. Take your time think about what you are reading and it’s meaning. Consider an action step to take as you begin your day.
The purpose of this sequence is to know God deeper each day, each month, each year. You are building your relationship with God and relationship can not be rushed
Today’s Afﬁrmation: I will read God’s Word with the Holy Spirit’s help and be a hearer and doer of His Word.
Written by Pastor Bob Wood: Pastor Bob is a retired Pastor and a dear friend of America’s Keswick.
The Daily Bible Reading: Psalm 50; Proverbs 20
Daily Quote: “God teaches us to love by putting some unlovely people around us. It takes no character to love people who are lovely and loving to you.” ~Rick Warren
This Week’s Verse to Memorize:
Let the wicked forsake his way,
And the unrighteous man his thoughts;
Let him return to the Lord,
And He will have mercy on him;
And to our God,
For He will abundantly pardon. ~Isaiah 55:7